Intangible Assets Valuation
We provide you with independent and accurate analysis and valuation opinions of your intangible assets during corporate exercises like acquisitions of local or overseas companies via asset or share transfer, initial public offering (IPOs) and commissioned special audit reviews. Our reports are submitted and validated by the Singapore Exchange, local bankers, corporate finance houses, lawyers, auditors, and investors.
Some of the intangible assets that we have advised on include:-
- Customer relationships
- Distributions and publicity rights
- Technological inventions and software copyrights
- Trademarks and patents
- Business contracts
Intellectual Property Rights Valuation*
A company may claim writing-down allowances (“WDA”) on capital expenditure incurred in acquiring qualifying Intellectual Property Rights (“IPR”), subject to the conditions under Section 19B of the Singapore Income Tax Act (“ITA”).
The following are the various types of qualifying IPRs under Section 19B of the ITA:
- Registered designs;
- Geographical indications;
- Lay-out designs of integrated circuit;
- Trade secrets or information with commercial value; and
- Plant varieties.
The Comptroller of Income Tax or IRAS requires a valuation of the intellectual property rights (“IPRs”) to be made by a qualified valuer such as a Certified Valuation Analyst, Chartered Valuer & Appraiser (CVA) or Chartered Accountant, to determine the open market price of the qualifying IPRs when the capital expenditure incurred is: (a) greater than SGD 0.5 million (for a related party transaction (b) greater than SGD 2 million (for an unrelated party transaction).
* the above source is adapted from IRAS at www.iras.gov.sg
Our achievements include:-
Successfully valued a retail food brand amounting to $30 million.
Section 19B IPR Independent Valuation
Successfully submitted to IRAS for a biotechnology firm.
We have a team of highly qualified in-house experts:
- Chartered Valuer & Appraiser, Institute of Valuers and Appraisers, Singapore;
- International Certified Valuation Specialist, IACVA;
- Certified Valuation Analyst, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts;
- Chartered Business Valuer, Canadian Institute of Chartered Busines Valuation;
- Completed the Certified Patent Valuation Analyst course.