Valuation of intangibles: Trademarks, Patents, Copyright infringement, Brands, Franchises, Customer contracts, Non-competition agreements, Software. Issue Independent Valuation Report for companies to claim writing-down allowances under Section 19B, Singapore Income Tax Act.
Intangible Assets Valuation (IFRS compliant)
We provide you with independent and accurate analysis and valuation opinions of your intangible assets and intellectual property (IP) during corporate exercises like acquisitions of local or overseas companies via asset or share transfer, initial public offering (IPOs) and commissioned special audit reviews. Our reports are submitted and validated by the Singapore Exchange, local bankers, auditors, corporate finance houses, investors and lawyers.
Our intangible assets and IP valuation services include:-
- Customer relationships
- Distributions and publicity rights
- Technological inventions and software copyrights
- Trademarks and patents
- Business contracts
- Purchase Price Allocation
- Calculation of goodwill impairment
- Options valuation
- Shares valuation
- Bond valuation
Intellectual Property Rights Valuation*
A company may claim writing-down allowances (“WDA”) on capital expenditure incurred in acquiring qualifying Intellectual Property Rights (“IPR”), subject to the conditions under Section 19B of the Singapore Income Tax Act (“ITA”).
The following are the various types of qualifying IPRs under Section 19B of the ITA:
- Registered designs;
- Geographical indications;
- Lay-out designs of integrated circuit;
- Trade secrets or information with commercial value; and
- Plant varieties.
The Comptroller of Income Tax or IRAS requires a valuation of the intellectual property rights (“IPRs”) to be made by a qualified valuer such as a Certified Valuation Analyst, Chartered Valuer & Appraiser (CVA) or Chartered Accountant, to determine the open market price of the qualifying IPRs when the capital expenditure incurred is: (a) greater than SGD 0.5 million (for a related party transaction (b) greater than SGD 2 million (for an unrelated party transaction).
* the above source is adapted from IRAS website
Our achievements include:-
- Successfully performed 1 trademark valuation report for a food and beverage MNC covering China, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Russia.
- Successfully carried out 3 trademarks valuation report for the purpose of sale between related companies for Hush Puppies, a renowned retail lifestyle distributor of footwear apparel in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Successfully carried out trademark valuation report for a local providing Muay Thai fitness training mobile gym, which operates out of a truck that travel all over the island of Singapore, including Sentosa, to conduct open group classes as well as private classes for individual, corporates, groups and schools.
Section 19B, Singapore Income Tax Act
- Performed valuation of trademark under Section 19B for an international e-commerce for the purpose of claiming wear and tear allowance.
- Performed fair valuation of a renowned trademark for claiming wear and tear allowances under Section 19B for a manufacturer of caffeinated soft drinks distributed under their brand which was marketed in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Myanmar.
- Performed valuation of trademark under Section 19B for a industrial automation MNC who acquired a trademark from an overseas related company for the purpose of claiming wear and tear allowance.
Successfully valued a retail food brand amounting to $30 million.
Successfully valued royalties for an online payroll solutions company in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Valued patent rights belonging to biotechnology company.
- Valued a technology patent for a roof-top solar installation.
- Valuation of an e-commerce technology patent.
- Valuation of a patent for a data-centre.
- Valuation of a portfolio of approximately over 100 registered patents for a Japanese electronics appliances MNC for the purposes of claiming wear and tear allowances under Section 19B of the Singapore Income Tax Act.
Valuation of Non-compete Agreement
Successfully valued a non-compete agreement for a MNC involved in dispute with employees.
Our team consists of highly qualified in-house experts:
- Chartered Valuer & Appraiser, Institute of Valuers and Appraisers, Singapore;
- International Certified Valuation Specialist, IACVA;
- Certified Valuation Analyst, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts;
- Chartered Business Valuer, Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators;
- Certified Business Valuer and Registered Business Valuer, Australian Valuers Institute;
- Member, American Society of Appraisers;
- Asia Pacific Institute of Experts;
- Completed the Certified Patent Valuation Analyst course.
1 Scotts Road, #24-10, Shaw Centre